We all know that we need to spend less time on our phones, but it’s much easier said than done right?
When we’re bored, waiting for something/someone, or have 5 minutes to spare, it’s just so easy to reach for our phones and check what people are posting on Facebook, fall down a rabbit hole of videos on TikTok, or play Candy Crush.
I’m just as guilty of it as anyone else, but sometimes you need to give yourself a pinch and remind yourself of all the other things you could be doing. I’m not talking about doing the housework or other chores, we all deserve some downtime, but there are much better ways to spend it that actually benefit your wellbeing.
Whether you are considering a digital detox or just want to find ways to better spend your time, there are so many activities to engage in that can enrich your life and provide a break from phone scrolling. Coming up with ideas can be tough though, so to help you out, here is a list of 41 things you could do instead of scrolling on your phone…
Some of the links below include affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase via one of these links.
Things to do instead of scrolling on your phone
- Read a book or listen to an audiobook.
- Go for a walk.
- Do some exercise.
- Meditate or practice mindfulness.
- Try a new recipe.
- Dance around to your favorite songs.
- Write in a journal or start a blog.
- Do a puzzle or play a board game.
- Watch an inspiring TED Talk.
- Start (or complete!) a DIY project.
- Do some gardening.
- Volunteer for a local charity.
- Visit a museum or art gallery.
- Declutter your bedroom.
- Practice yoga.
- Bake a cake.
- Call a friend for a chat.
- Paint your nails.
- Get creative with some drawing or painting.
- Learn a new language or practice your language skills.
- Take up knitting, crocheting, or other needlework.
- Watch a movie or binge-watch a TV series.
- Meet up with some friends.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Put on a facemask.
- Play a card game.
- Take a class or enroll in an online course.
- Write a letter or send a thoughtful message to someone.
- Organise your closet and bag up any old clothes.
- Explore a new neighbourhood.
- Take a long bath.
- Practice a musical instrument.
- Have a picnic or enjoy a meal outdoors.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Visit your local library.
- Do some colouring.
- Practice your photography skills.
- Plan your next holiday.
- Play with your pet.
- Visit a neighbour.
- Practice your make-up skills.
So there you have plenty of ideas of things to do when you are bored or have some free time, without the need to pick up your phone and start scrolling!